Re: TRANS.TBL on CDs

On Fri, Jun 11, 2004 at 10:34:32AM +0200, Santiago Garcia Mantinan wrote:
>> OK. What size difference is there? It won't be huge (a few bytes per
>> directory), but I'd expect it to be noticeable, especially on the
>> businesscard image where we're short of space.
>
>Well, it is difficult to mesure, I mean, cds change from one day to the next
>one, The smaller difference I saw was 250K on businesscard and 500K on
>netinst, what I can say is that all cds built without TBL seem to be a
>little bit smaller than those built the day before, but again, this could be
>due to package changes in the cds, so this is not significative at all.

OK. Quick check here on an image full of small files:

-rw-rw-r--    1 steve    pcs      87336960 Jun 11 09:41 with.iso
-rw-rw-r--    1 steve    pcs      86667264 Jun 11 09:45 without.iso

It's worth doing, but the gain won't be huge...

"I suspect most samba developers are already technically insane... Of
 course, since many of them are Australians, you can't tell." -- Linus Torvalds