Re: jigdo

On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 01:25:15PM +0100, Richard Atterer wrote:
>On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 11:53:13PM +0000, Steve McIntyre wrote:
>> I've been poring over the jigdo source code, and I'm looking at the
>> main loop in MkTemplate::scanImage(), especially the code where it
>> compares the current hash against the hashes cached for known files. I
>> don't know if you've thought of this (you may even have tried it, and
>> it runs even slower), but when we first start looking for matches (a
>> new file), could we not possibly short cut some of the work here by
>> using the directory information that we have from the CD image itself?
>[...]
>
>IMHO all the iso9660-aware code would be difficult to write - see the
>following suggestion from my HACKING file, which I think is a better way to
>speed things up:
>
>".rawtemplate" support:
>
>  It is possible to make .jigdo creation for Debian CDs much faster
>  by hacking mkisofs to support more direct output of .jigdo/.template
>  files:

OK, I now have something approximating this. First-cut patch for
current mkisofs is at

   http://www.einval.com/~steve/sw/CD/mkisofs.diff

Look at struct jt_extent_data in mkisofs.h for details of the output
format I'm using - it's simply a concatenated set of

  header
  n x matched file / unmatched extent
  footer

dumped to the output file specified on the command line using the new
-jigdo-template option. I've tested the code here fairly well over the
weekend, and I'm quite happy with what I have - it works, and doesn't
interfere at all with normal ISO image output. For now I'll only
produce the template file if you also make an image; if you don't want
the image, simply specify -o /dev/null to throw it away.

The internals of mkisofs are really very nice - it's well structured
and clean in most places, and it was obvious how and where to make the
first attempt at these changes. They'll probably want cleaning up
before upstream will accept, of course.

I've also written simple dirty tools to list the contents of one of
these template files and a current jigdo file - see

   http://www.einval.com/~steve/sw/CD/dump.c     (jigdo template)
   http://www.einval.com/~steve/sw/CD/dump-jte.c (helper template)

I've had a look at adding support for the new template helper file
into jigdo itself, but I can't abide C++ at the best of times and the
jigdo code is fairly opaque IMHO.

One thing I'm curious about, Richard - why dod you decide to use
(almost) base64-encoded md5sums in the jigdo files? All other software
works with simple hexdumps of md5sums, and I'm not convinced doing
things differently is a good idea...

Comments?

Into the distance, a ribbon of black
Stretched to the point of no turning back