Re: help with rsync + win 9x

At 03:20 PM 1/25/2003 -0800, Geek wrote:

i installed rsync for win 9x (minimalist approach)

http://optics.ph.unimelb.edu.au/help/rsync/rsync_pc1.html

Wow. I found that very difficult. I use the rsync from "Cygwin" (It's in the Pseudo-image-kit.)

command i used was :

rsync246 -e ssh -avP
rsync://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/cdv1.iso cdv2.iso

Don't the local and remote files have to have the same name? In this case doesn't rsync get the whole file with ftp instead.

Here's a sample command I use:
(on one line, please undo the html stuff)
rsync --dry-run --verbose --progress --stats --block-size=8192 ftp.de.debian.org::debian-cd/images/3.0_r1/i386/debian-30r1-i386-binary-1_NONUS.iso .

i was able to connect to server, downloaded the
filelist, and it started to update the ISO.

"Download the filelist?" This does not sound right.

the speed was extremly slow compared to jigdo...it
 was taking the same amount of time as to download the
 whole cd again.

If you don't have a local near-copy, yes.

can anyone plz throw some light on this !!! am i doing
 anything wrong ???

I suggest you get out the syntax diagram and go through your command in detail...

also, the size it shows while updating the file is
in bytes or kilobytes ??

My rsync shows bytes.

Regards, Gordon