Re: I don't think I've ever gotten Jigdo working
At 09:06 PM 1/25/2003 +0000, Tom Goulet wrote:
I suspect there is a perception problem here.
> What problems did you have using jigdo-lite?
- I had to find out what Jigdo was
It's something you want; not a problem.
- I had to install Jigdo
Download, unpack, read the readme.; installation done!
- I had to find out how to run Jigdo
Readme file sez "click on runme"; not difficult.
- I had to find a mirror for Jigdo files
I'm using jigdo-easy; shell script asks for a mirror or a search term. I
use "United States", you might use "Canada". Not difficult.
- I had to figure out a workaround for it trying to access
Jigdo-easy keeps asking for hands.com; I didn't feel any need to work
Keeps going to us.cdimage.debian.org, too. No problem here.
- I had to find a template file and download it and hope it worked
This was enough to get the .jigdo and .template files.
- I had to wonder if it was working
I thought the running totals were adequate.
- I had to realise that when it was building the ISO file Jigdo was not
really thinking it was finished
I don't understand; must be a perceptual problem.
- I had to figure out what to do when it couldn't download some files
I found it easiest to Google for the missing file and download it to the
working directory. Next time I restart Jigdo this file is picked up.
- I had to learn that switching mirrors should make it continue
If one download site doesn't work wouldn't you try another? After a few
duds, wouldn't you ask around for a known good download site. Doesn't sound
- I had to tell it to switch mirrors
...but it's not difficult....
- I had to figure out what to do *then* when it couldn't download some
...I've described what I do. It's easy.
- I had to find an Rsync mirror
I like rsync - but I think Jigdo is easier. The rsync syntax is difficult.
Use jigdo instead.
- I had to find the file on the Rsync mirror using Rsync (I missed a
The instructions in the "Pseudo-Image-Kit" are terse but adequate - this is
the "Cygwin" rsync I favor.
- I had to run Rsync
This *is* tough - use jigdo instead.
- I had to get the md5sums
Point and click. Not difficult. (This step is in jigdo, by the way.)
- I had to verify the MD5 sum.
You do need the -b switch ... but it's not difficult.
All in all, I'd say it was five times more difficult than downloading an
image with Wget.
...but five wget files are not difficult ... are they?