Re: Too few up-to-date CD image mirrors

On Mon, 2 Dec 2002, Josip Rodin wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 29, 2002 at 09:23:07PM +0100, Richard Atterer wrote:
> > Originally, the plan for 3.0r0 was that ISOs would be made available
> > via jigdo and that mirrors would update using the "jigdo-mirror"
> > script which I wrote especially for that purpose. (And I mailed all
> > mirror admins with the details.) Later, the images would also become
> > available "normally" via rsync (AFAIR), but somehow that never
> > happened.
> >
> > So let's do it their way: I propose that we offer rsync (and maybe
> > HTTP?) access to the images again starting with 3.0r1. raff has enough
> > disc space, so the size should not be a problem. Of course, we'd
> > better implement some kind of access control. And what about
> > cdimage.d.o? - it would be nice to have another "primary" mirror in
> > Europe to distribute the load.
>
> I asked Ryan (of DSA) about this and he told me that he'd prefer it if we
> just had people use jigdo since the debian/ mirrors are plenty and likely
> much faster than mirrors overloaded with heaps of rampant image downloaders.
> Frankly I agree with that sentiment, there sure are plenty of better ways to
> waste bandwidth.

Yes, but jigdo is more hassle for the end users. Sure, it is a waste of
bandwidth, but if we didn't have bandwidth to "waste", we wouldn't run a
debian[-cd] mirror do begin with. You have a tradeoff there between what
is convenient for users and what is an effective use of our mirroring
resources.

But then, the mirror admins that voice their opinions here are those that
have already stated that they would rather have isos available.

> But then, we already have a bunch of mirrors that do have images, so
> _something_ needs to be done to bring back the consistency.

Yes. A restricted rsync access to main mirrors would be good enough if we
don't want cdimage.d.o (or cdimage.us) to waste too much bandwidth. Just
so that once we have built the images with jigdo we can rsync the
directory structure against an official structure.

/Mattias Wadenstein