Re: Too few up-to-date CD image mirrors

On Mon, 2 Dec 2002, Josip Rodin wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 29, 2002 at 11:45:54PM +0100, Mattias Wadenstein wrote:
> > > Or course it would be best if I had a canoical site to run the checking
> > > program against, then it could just do a straightforward comparison.
> > > Unfortunatly, it seems that cdimage.debian.org no longer carries isos,
> > > and so there is no canoical site? Is that right?
> >
> > That has been a main issue for getting other mirrors to mirror the images
> > too. "They aren't on cdimage.debian.org, so why should we bother with
> > some kind of not as official ones." The fact that we carry isos with
> > released md5sums seems not as important. Or just a convenient excuse to be
> > a bit more lazy.
>
> Hey, cut them some slack -- AFAICT, we just left cdimage.d.o lingering there
> with the old images for months, and nobody informed the less involved of the
> mirror admins about any changes. Heck, just a few weeks ago I mentioned some
> of the broken links to Phil and his response was more like "oops, better fix
> that".
>
> I know for a fact that mirror admins are a relatively clueless bunch, but I
> also know that they can be educated given enough effort.

Well, usually the bigger they are the more clue they have but less effort
to put into a single archive. Of course, this "excuse" was only part of
the problem, of course they were (as usual on mirrors) almost out of space
and haven't quite got the next generation server online.

I think it is almost something mythical about the "next server" that will
have "good enough capacity" unlike the current one that is way too slow.
It always takes much, much longer to get running than one could hope.

/Mattias Wadenstein