Re: Too few up-to-date CD image mirrors

On Fri, Nov 29, 2002 at 09:23:07PM +0100, Richard Atterer wrote:
> Originally, the plan for 3.0r0 was that ISOs would be made available
> via jigdo and that mirrors would update using the "jigdo-mirror"
> script which I wrote especially for that purpose. (And I mailed all
> mirror admins with the details.) Later, the images would also become
> available "normally" via rsync (AFAIR), but somehow that never
> happened.
>
> So let's do it their way: I propose that we offer rsync (and maybe
> HTTP?) access to the images again starting with 3.0r1. raff has enough
> disc space, so the size should not be a problem. Of course, we'd
> better implement some kind of access control. And what about
> cdimage.d.o? - it would be nice to have another "primary" mirror in
> Europe to distribute the load.

I asked Ryan (of DSA) about this and he told me that he'd prefer it if we
just had people use jigdo since the debian/ mirrors are plenty and likely
much faster than mirrors overloaded with heaps of rampant image downloaders.
Frankly I agree with that sentiment, there sure are plenty of better ways to
waste bandwidth.

But then, we already have a bunch of mirrors that do have images, so
_something_ needs to be done to bring back the consistency.

--
Joy