Re: Is GPL source for binary cd1 all on source cd1?

On Nov 01, Blars Blarson wrote:

> >If you don't want to give away a full set of CD then you have to
> >regenerate your own shrinked CD set to be sure that the match
> >between binary packages and source packages is ok.
>
> Or, in the case of giving away several copies of binary CD1, with the
> required offer of GPL source, I have to generate and keep the entire
> source set for three years.  (Doing so is less labor than figuraing
> out exactly what sources I need.)  Anyone giving the CD to a freind
> has the same obligation.
>
> Oh well, I had hoped not to have to tie up my DSL line for that long.

I believe you would only need to give away source CDs 1 and 2, at
least for woody, as the code that creates the CD images puts the
source packages in the same order they are added to the binary CDs.
You may want to verify this manually, though.  (I know this is the
case for the CDs I make, but I use a different script to create the
images.)

Alternatively, you could give away the LordSutch.com mini-ISO image;
the complete source will burn on a single CD.  However, it's not a
very complete installation (no X, for example).

Chris
--
Chris Lawrence <cnlawren@phy.olemiss.edu> - http://www.lordsutch.com/chris/

Computer Systems Manager, Physics and Astronomy, Univ. of Mississippi
125B Lewis Hall - 662-915-5765