Re: Is GPL source for binary cd1 all on source cd1?

Le Fri, Nov 01, 2002 at 01:04:02PM +0100, Richard Atterer écrivait:
> On Thu, Oct 31, 2002 at 12:09:59AM -0800, Blars Blarson wrote:
> > Is all the source for the GPL software on the Official woody
> > 3.0r1_nonUS x86 cd contained on the first source CD, or am I going to
> > have to download the entire source set if I give away the binary CDs?
>
> Well, I was waiting for someone with more knowledge to answer this,
> but I /think/ that source-n will contain exactly the source code for
> the binaries on binary-n. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

You're partially wrong.

The sources files are added in the source CDs in same order as the packages
are added in the binary CD but a number of facts will do that the match
will never be very good :
- for the binary packages we take care to include dependencies before
  the package itself => the order of the list is completely changed and
  thus there's no match between the order of inclusion of binary
  packages and the order of inclusion of source packages
- the source package may take more/less space than the binary packages
  and you can't be sure that all sources for a single binary CD
  will fit on a single CD

If you don't want to give away a full set of CD then you have to
regenerate your own shrinked CD set to be sure that the match
between binary packages and source packages is ok.

Raphaël Hertzog -+- http://www.ouaza.com