Re: About jigdo, pre12-14, etc

On Tue, Jul 02, 2002 at 02:20:52AM +0100, Philip Hands wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-07-02 at 00:07, Richard Atterer wrote:
> > It's because I've told Phil not to upgrade his jigdo-file, because
> > if he did, it would generate new-style .template files which are
> > not supported by the current version of jigdo-easy2win.
>
> Er, oops --- I just upgraded it, because I forgot that little hint.
> Doh!

<slap> I knew I shouldn't be writing mails at 3am... forget all I
said.

The reason why I told you not to upgrade was only because the previous
version was stable and I wanted to eliminate all possibilities of
last-minute bugs in the new version. At the time the release was
believed to be only a week or so away. ;-)

Since then, the new code (for --merge) has been tested enough, so it
should be OK to use it.

jigdo-easy2win *does* support the new template format, Anne updated it!
jigdo-easy2win does *not* support relative URLs in the [Image]
section, this is where I mixed things up.

However, note that just upgrading jigdo-file will *not* make the
Template-MD5Sum entries appear - see my announcement of jigdo 0.6.6
(attached) for more info.

Cheers,

  Richard

--
  __   _
  ¯ '` ¯
--- Begin Message ---
Hello,

I have just released Jigsaw Download 0.6.6. jigdo is a scheme which
makes it possible to download Debian CD images from any regular Debian
FTP mirror, instead of getting them from one of the fewer and slower
CD image mirrors.

What's new?
~~~~~~~~~~~
  - jigdo-lite/mirror: Template URLs can be relative to jigdo URL
  - jigdo-file: Any template URL added by default is relative
  - jigdo-lite: Don't use "wget -c" to get jigdo/template files -
    causes problems if the files are updated daily on the server
  - jigdo-file: >4GB file sizes now really supported on Linux
    (James W. Jayaputera) - does still not work under Windows.
  - jigdo-mirror is now installed by "make install"
  - Updated documentation, new manpage for jigdo-mirror
  - jigdo-file make-template: New --merge switch allows you to add
    this run's data to an existing jigdo file.
  - jigdo-file now writes out a Template-MD5Sum=... entry to the jigdo
    file. When using --merge, the entry can also be added to an
    existent [Image] section. jigdo-lite uses it to verify downloaded
    template data.
  - jigdo-file make-template: Always moves [Parts] section to the
    bottom of the file

Where is it?
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jigdo homepage:           <http://atterer.net/jigdo/>
Source code:              <http://atterer.net/jigdo/jigdo-0.6.6.tar.bz2>
Statically linked binary: <http://atterer.net/jigdo/jigdo-bin-0.6.6.tar.bz2>
Downloading Debian CDs:   <http://www.debian.org/CD/jigdo-cd/>

Apt-able i386 .debs are at:
deb http://home.in.tum.de/~atterer/debian unstable jigdo

Attila and Phil, this version makes it much easier to generate jigdo
files with correct [Image] sections. If it weren't for the fact that
the resulting jigdo files would be incompatible to jigdo-easy, you
could just stop using --no-image-section and instead let jigdo-file
append an [Image] section, because that default one works just fine.

How to make jigdo-file add a "Template-MD5Sum=..." line to your jigdo
files without it also adding a "Template=..." line with a relative
To create the jigdo files, you previously used:

jigdo-file make-template --no-image-section
echo "[Image]
Filename=...
Template=...
ShortInfo=...
Info=..." >> x.jigdo
echo "[Servers]
..." >> x.jigdo

With 0.6.6, you do the following:

echo "[Image]
Filename=...
Template=...
Template-MD5Sum=
ShortInfo=...
Info=..." > tmpfile
echo "[Servers]
..." >> tmpfile
jigdo-file make-template --merge=tmpfile

Note the additional "Template-MD5Sum=" line - jigdo-file reads in
tmpfile, adds the checksum after the '=' and writes the result to the
output jigdo file.

Have fun,

  Richard

--