Re: Any "JIGDO for dummies" guide?

On Fri, Jun 28, 2002 at 09:18:15AM +0700, Rahmat M. Samik-Ibrahim wrote:
> First of all, I have to admit that I have not RTFM yet. Thus, I have
> a plan to spent some time to do that first, at this weekend.

There isn't actually a lot of documentation for jigdo-lite, so this
gives you a good excuse to post more questions here if you keep having
problems. ;-) (The documentation for jigdo-file isn't of interest for
most jigdo end users.)

> The problem is that the only host that has access to the net is
> still a potato; whereas I have a woody system behind a firewall
> where "wget" does not work properly (but it has access to a local
> debian mirror).

...so I guess that when you point jigdo-lite at the local Debian
mirror, it downloads most files on the CDs, but not all of them.
However, after telling you it's "trying alternative download
locations" it attempts to fetch the remaining files from cdimage.d.o,
which breaks.

The "fallback server" cdimage.d.o is listed in the .jigdo file (use
zless to view its contents) - it is only used if jigdo-lite has
already tried to download a file on the primary Debian mirror you
specified, but that file was not present or was changed.

Have you tried pre12 yet? It might fix the problem.

> Question: is there any "jigdo for dummies" guide available
> somewhere;

Not really, just ask here. :)

> where the host has no direct access to the net, but has access to an
> internal Debian mirror?

In general, that's a difficult situation. I would *like* the
jigdo/template files to be self-contained, but the Debian archive
changes quite frequently, so the fallback mechanism is necessary.
(Even the stable branch changes inbetween stable releases due to
documentation and boot-floppies updates.)

Cheers,

  Richard

--
  __   _