Re: About harware detection and configuration tools in 1st CD

On Thu, 2002-06-13 at 11:12, Mantas K. wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> It seemed to me that you wanted to write this letter to mailing list (from
> few questions you asked), but you had sent it just to me ;)

Yes, you absolutely right.  I'll Cc: it onto the list now, and leave the
belated response to Mantas' question about promoting newbie packages).

> If there are some packages, that are important to newbies and are in no task
> (and not marked as standard) and so newbies will only see them once they've
> stopped being newbies, then we really have to do something to ease their fate :)

Agreed, but I'm not sure what we can do at this stage.  Unfortunately,
it may have to wait for 3.0_r1, but if someone can suggest a way of
slipping it into 3.0 I'd like to hear about it.

> I'm not a debian developer, so I can't really say which way is the best -
> maybe we can:
> 1. mark part of my mentioned packages (like discover, etherconf, why in 1st
> CD are only pppoeconf and pppconfig?) as standard;

I think that would inflict them on people that are upgrading, and don't
need them, so is probably not the way to go.

> 2. include some (like aptitude, kudzu, sndconfig) in a task
> "simple-installation" or some such;
> 3. and include some (ex. graphical configuration tools, developed by
> Progeny, graphical package manager - stormpkg) in task-desktop.
>
> At last, we can make a new task, called task-newbie :)
>
> Mantas Kriauciunas
>
> P.S. popularity-contest package is not included in any task and only few
> advanced debian users know about this package (there are no information
> about it, see ex. http://search.debian.org/) and this package is not easy to
> configure - sendmail often isn't correctly configured in some systems,
> because newbies use Kmail, Evolution, Balsa, etc. - thats why I say data,
> produced by popularity-contest is not reliable.

Fair enough --- perhaps popularity-contest should be made standard?

Cheers, Phil.

--
Say no to software patents!  http://petition.eurolinux.org/