Re: Anarchy on CD's (lot of packages on first CD depends on packages that are not in the first CD, etc)

On Thu, 2002-05-02 at 21:13, Mantas K. wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I love debian, but I not understand why there are anarchy with packages on CD's)
>
> I just want to ask:
> Why there are *big* anarchy (with packages) on first CD of pre2 ?
> There are no xserver-common, no xserver-xfree86, no xserver-common-v3, no
> xfonts, etc. but there are included many X applications like twm, gnome libs
> and applications, abiword, kword, other kde programs, blah-blah-blah

Well, strictly speaking you don't necisarily need an xserver on a
machine, just becasue it has xclients on it, but I do agree that this is
a fairly stupid state of afairs.  (in other words, there is no package
dependancy between abiword and the xserver, but most users are not going
to be very impressed when you tell them that).

> (see
> http://cdimage.debian.org/jigdo-area/current/jigdo/i386/woody-i386-1_NONUS.jigdo
> igdo/i386/woody-i386-1_NONUS.jigdo)
>
> This is not good, because first CD is not usefull without second CD (because
> a lot of packages depends on other packages that are not in the first CD),

Is that actually true do the "Depend" or are you just saying that most
people won't have much use for abiword if they don't have an xserver on
the same machine.

The reason I ask is that what you said means that debian-cd is badly
broken in some way, whereas the other problem is just a case of needing
to set the priorities differently for which packages go on which CD.

> second CD contains packages, that depends on other packages  that are not in
> the first and second CD's and so on :(

Could you cite some examples please.

> All CD's must be usefull without next CD's.

Agreed.

> And first CD must contain xserver-common, xserver-xfree86,
> xserver-common-v3, xfonts and all basic tools and programs, that are needed
> on most systems (Older CD images from ftp://ftp.fsn.hu/pub... were better,
> as there were X system, mc, gimp and other good programs in the 1st CD)

Does anyone know if that the result of tweaks to debian-cd that have not
been folded into CVS, or is it simply that sizes of packages have
changed so that debian-cd simply decided to split the groups of packages
up differently on these latest tests?

Cheers, Phil.
--
Say no to software patents!  http://petition.eurolinux.org/