Re: Official woody netinst images

On Wed, 6 Mar 2002 19:36:12 +0100
Richard Atterer <deb-cd@list02.atterer.net> wrote:
> No. Unfortunately, I have no clear idea what exactly must be
> changed... David, can you shed some light?

Disclaimer: I'm only talking here as somebody who will eventually
produce custom netinst CDs; I'm not particularly interested in them at
the moment, I'd prefer to wait until Woody's release ;)

>  - <100MB, should fit on a credit-card sized CD (=150MB) - maybe just
>    boot-floppies and base. One should be able to install via the net
>    even with hardware which is not supported by boot-floppies, e.g.
>    PCI ISDN cards.

While I would agree with the latter(the extra supported hardware), I
disagree with the former. The smaller, the better. Most of the people I
know who use netinst CDs use them because it's easier than using
floppies(especially if PPP is involved), and it's a smaller initial
download.

So, as far as what I'll be doing, "100M" is too large. Or, at least, if
100M isn't *required*, then it's too large ;)

>  - possibly also usable as a minmal rescue CD

This is where I'm interested ;)

>  - *not* several varieties of netinst images, just one, to avoid
>    confusion of users

I wouldn't mind a single flavour of Official Woody netinst, if and only
if it supported everything that was needed for pretty much any
network-based installation. However, these things are often used for
specific circumstances, where a one-size-fits-all solution just doesn't
work. The more general the support in debian-cd, the better. I don't
really know a lot about the current solution, but it's probably adequate
if it handles multiple boot images on a single CD. To make a "netinst"
CD, just don't put 640M of packages on the bugger ;)

>  - integrated into debian-cd so it's easy to create netinst CDs
>    whenever a regular CD release is prepared.
>
> BTW, I have no intention of doing the changes myself, just of prodding
> everybody else hard enough to make it happen. ;-P

I'll look into it, but were you going to be maintaining the "official"
Debian netinst CD? (Yeah, I know, it may not be Official, but the
next-closest thing.)

If not, we should probably collaborate and get a little sub-project
going.

\ David B. Harris, Systems administrator   |   http://www.terrabox.com /
/  eelf@sympatico.ca, elf@terrabox.com     |     http://eelf.ddts.net  \
/ Clan Barclay motto: Aut agere, aut mori.  (Either action, or death.) \