Re: Official woody netinst images

On Wed, Mar 06, 2002 at 03:42:07PM -0500, David B Harris wrote:
> >  - <100MB, should fit on a credit-card sized CD (=150MB) - maybe
> >    just boot-floppies and base. One should be able to install via
> >    the net even with hardware which is not supported by
> >    boot-floppies, e.g. PCI ISDN cards.
>
> While I would agree with the latter(the extra supported hardware), I
> disagree with the former. The smaller, the better.

Actually, I agree with that, too! :)

[snip]
> The more general the support in debian-cd, the better. I don't
> really know a lot about the current solution, but it's probably
> adequate if it handles multiple boot images on a single CD.

IIRC, offering a choice of images to boot from is difficult... there
was some discussion here a while ago about the different ways, and
none seemed to work 100%.

> > BTW, I have no intention of doing the changes myself, just of
> > prodding everybody else hard enough to make it happen. ;-P
>
> I'll look into it, but were you going to be maintaining the
> "official" Debian netinst CD? (Yeah, I know, it may not be Official,
> but the next-closest thing.)

Well, my idea is that once support for netinst CDs is in debian-cd,
whoever generates the official images will always also create official
netinst CD images. The netinst CDs would be maintained as part of
debian-cd.

I think I haven't got CVS write access for debian-cd ATM (actually,
I've never tried;), but if you post any patches here and they work for
other people, I'm certain they will make their way into CVS.

Unfortunately, I'm not able to help myself because I lack both a
permanent internet connection and a local Debian mirror...

Cheers,

  Richard

--
  __   _