Re: Creating unofficial CDs

On Sat, 26 Jan 2002, Karl-Martin Skontorp wrote:

> * Mattias Wadenstein (maswan@acc.umu.se) wrote:
> > Reverting back to rsync when you have an almost finished image (lets call
> > it binary-i386-1.iso) you find a mirror with rsync acccess (lets call that
> > one ftp.se.debian.org). Then you use rsync to make the amlost finished
> > image an exact copy of the one on the server, which due to the rsync
> > protocol doesn't involve huge downloads.
> >
> > Something like:
> > rsync ftp.se.debian.org::debian-iso/2.2_rev4/i386/binary-i386-1.iso binary-i386-1.iso
>
> Don't know if it matters too much in this case, but I always use "-avvP" on
> rsync. a for archive, recursive, preserves timestamps etc. Two v's for
> extra verbosity and the P will show progress as well as preserve
> partially downloaded files.

Well, in this case it is just one file, så the recursive and permissions
preserving is pretty much ignorable.

Progress is probably something good to show, but preserving partially
downloaded files is probably not what you want to do. If you manage to
download the first 100 megs, my experience is that rsync will overwrite
the pseduo-image with the 100-meg file. But keeping the original file
would probably have been much better, since the download to complete that
image would be much less than the 500 megs to complete the 100-meg file.

Perhaps I should have added --progress and --stats, but they aren't really
essential. Same thing with specifying a specific block size.

/Mattias Wadenstein