Re: Update CD

On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 02:23:47PM +0100, Martin Schulze wrote:
>Howdy!
>
>Can you guys work out a way to create an update CD image against
>${debrelease}r0 that would need to be updated every time a new
>revision is released with new security updates.
>
>These images (one for every stable architecture) will contain all
>packages that were updated after ${debrelease}r0 was released.
>Everybody who wants to burn Debian CD's will only have to update this
>n+1st CD after a new revision in order to be able to make up-to-date
>installations.  The same applies to vendors, they could add a gold
>update CD to the silver CD set.
>
>This could potentially lower the stress some overzealous customers
>generated for silver CD distributors.
>
>Do you want me to file a bug report so it doesn't get forgotton?

I've already written such a script and it has been in the debian-cd
package for ages, we just haven't yet fully tested it or publicised it
much yet.

Current CDs I have produced for r4 look like:

-rw-r--r--    1 root     users    638830592 Dec 16 22:56  potato-update-1.raw
-rw-r--r--    1 root     users    575918080 Dec 16 22:57  potato-update-2.raw
-rw-r--r--    1 root     users    134555648 Dec 16 22:58  potato-update-3.raw

This is including non-free changes atm, but the script will also
ignore non-free if desired. The changes on these are all the updated
packages / sources since potato r0, split:

CD 1:  all / alpha / arm / i386
CD 2:  all / m68k / powerpc / sparc
CD 3:  source

There are equivalent CDs already on cdimage.debian.org which just need
to be pushed into a publically accessible place and tested fully. The
script just needs a mirror and a file listing the changed packages,
which can trivially be generated from the .list files we make right
now. Oops, just looked on cdimage and the images I made are gone. But
I can trivially regenerate them.

--
Steve McIntyre, Plasmon                      smcintyre@software.plasmon.com
"Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky,