Re: Redesign of cdimage website

On Fri, Nov 16, 2001 at 02:54:25PM +0000, Philip Hands wrote:
> It should definitely be the first option.

OK, enough people seem to want this; I'm changing it.

Another thing: Does anybody actually offer a downloadable
"net-install" CD image somewhere? I've never seen one so far.

> IMO it should be given a status that makes the other options look
> almost insignificant.

Hm, rather not - as I said, many people do prefer CD images for one
reason or another, and one of the problems of the maze was that it
kept telling people to do things they didn't want to.

> Of course, Jigdo sorts out much of the problem, so perhaps we should
> switch to providing only jigdo spec files from woody onwards.
>
> Do you think jigdo is ready for that?

I think jigdo and the other distribution methods (direct download/PIK)
should be available in parallel throughout the time woody is stable.
I'm convinced it's a full replacement, but it'd be unwise to rely on
it as long as it hasn't seen a lot of real-world testing.

> Does jigdo work on windows?

I'm developing the jigdo GUI app in parallel under Linux and Windows
(C++, using GTK+ and libwww, both of which are portable across these
arches). MacOS X should be no problem either.

When I first thought about how to implement jigdo, I wanted to use
Java for maximum portability. One of the first ideas was to use a Java
applet, but I quickly gave up on that because it's almost impossible
to make a Java applet save to the local disc. Furthermore, there are
lots of incompatibilities between MSIE and NS.

The next thought was to use a "normal" Java app. I toyed with this for
quite a while; in the end, I decided against it mainly because Windows
users would have to download and install a multi-MB, non-free (in the
DSFG sense) software package to run jigdo. Using jigdo should be very
simple for Windows users; downloading and running one install .exe
should be all that's necessary. (BTW, I'm going to use SuperPiMP to
create the installer for Windows.)

> What do people think about not actually having official images of
> the CDs, just jigdo specs, and a signed MD5SUM file.

IMHO, maybe for woody+1, but not earlier. I guess we will be forced to
do that once we start distributing such things as "official Debian DVD
images"... :-)

Cheers,

  Richard

--