jigdo 0.6.0 - jigdo beta site is now live!

Hello,

Jigsaw Download 0.6.0 has been released. jigdo is the proposed
replacement for the pseudo image kit.

As of a few days ago, the first beta site offering downloads of Debian
2.2r4 via jigdo is available on cdimage. Thanks for the account, Phil!

What's new in 0.6.0?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

First, because the "proper jigdo" (the GTK+ download manager type app)
is not going to be finished anytime soon, I've written a small shell
script called "jigdo-lite" which does an equivalent job. It downloads
the .debs using wget and assembles them using jigdo-file.

jigdo-lite is contained in the jigdo-file_0.6.0 package on my
homepage. Install that .deb, run jigdo-lite, then follow the
instructions. The .jigdo files that the program asks for are located
at <http://cdimage.debian.org/~atterer/jigdo/>.

Note that you can use jigdo-lite to "upgrade", say, from a 2.2r3 CD
image to a 2.2r4 CD image.

Please give me feedback about any success or failure!

The second major news for 0.6.0 is that in the jigdo_0.6.0 package
there is the very first, ***pre-alpha*** version of the GTK+ jigdo
application. There is no download capability or other functionality
present at all yet - the reason why I'm releasing it is for people to
have a look at the GUI layout and tell me whether they like it.

BTW, I already managed to compile jigdo under Windows - GTK+ and all!

Comparison with the PIK
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Getting an account on cdimage enabled me to run jigdo-file on
real-world data (Debian CD images + local Debian mirror) for the first
time. It turns out that jigdo performs better than I ever hoped! :)

If you look at <http://cdimage.debian.org/~atterer/jigdo/templates/>,
the files there are the equivalent of the rsync traffic generated by
the PIK. For the binary-i386-1 CD, jigdo only needs 1.2M, or 0.2% of
the CD image size! Only alpha and sparc CDs need about 4.5M (0.7%).

I believe the equivalent figures for the PIK were quite a bit higher,
though still below 1%. But the main point is: jigdo doesn't need any
special protocol, just HTTP/FTP! My long-term aim is to persuade
ftpmaster@d.o to put these files in the main Debian FTP area and have
them mirrored by all regular Debian mirrors.

Help needed!
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Unfortunately, jigdo development has slowed down a lot since October
because I have to study for my diploma. :-( I hope to get the GTK+
jigdo into a usable state before woody is released, but cannot promise
anything.

If somebody would like to help, there are several possibilities:

- Setting up the generation of weekly CD snapshots of testing on
  cdimage, and their distribution via jigdo.
- Maintaining the updated cdimage website. I've done a redesign (see
  other mail), but a lot of work still remains to be done. It would be
  nice if someone took this over, so that I can concentrate on jigdo.
- Helping with the implementation of jigdo. This won't be easy since
  it'll require a lot of coordination between me and other people
  working on the code, but would be very welcome nevertheless!

Where to get it
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Source and binaries are available from

  <http://atterer.net/jigdo/>.

If you want to build the .debs, just unpack the source tarball, then
"./configure && make deb". For aptable i386 debs use:

deb http://home.in.tum.de/atterer/debian unstable jigdo

All the best,

  Richard

--