jigdo 0.6.0 - jigdo beta site is now live!

Jigsaw Download 0.6.0 has been released. jigdo is the proposed
replacement for the pseudo image kit.

As of a few days ago, the first beta site offering downloads of Debian
2.2r4 via jigdo is available on cdimage. Thanks for the account, Phil!

What's new in 0.6.0?

First, because the "proper jigdo" (the GTK+ download manager type app)
is not going to be finished anytime soon, I've written a small shell
script called "jigdo-lite" which does an equivalent job. It downloads
the .debs using wget and assembles them using jigdo-file.

jigdo-lite is contained in the jigdo-file_0.6.0 package on my
homepage. Install that .deb, run jigdo-lite, then follow the
instructions. The .jigdo files that the program asks for are located
at <http://cdimage.debian.org/~atterer/jigdo/>.

Note that you can use jigdo-lite to "upgrade", say, from a 2.2r3 CD
image to a 2.2r4 CD image.

Please give me feedback about any success or failure!

The second major news for 0.6.0 is that in the jigdo_0.6.0 package
there is the very first, ***pre-alpha*** version of the GTK+ jigdo
application. There is no download capability or other functionality
present at all yet - the reason why I'm releasing it is for people to
have a look at the GUI layout and tell me whether they like it.

BTW, I already managed to compile jigdo under Windows - GTK+ and all!

Comparison with the PIK

Getting an account on cdimage enabled me to run jigdo-file on
real-world data (Debian CD images + local Debian mirror) for the first
time. It turns out that jigdo performs better than I ever hoped! :)

If you look at <http://cdimage.debian.org/~atterer/jigdo/templates/>,
the files there are the equivalent of the rsync traffic generated by
the PIK. For the binary-i386-1 CD, jigdo only needs 1.2M, or 0.2% of
the CD image size! Only alpha and sparc CDs need about 4.5M (0.7%).

I believe the equivalent figures for the PIK were quite a bit higher,
though still below 1%. But the main point is: jigdo doesn't need any
special protocol, just HTTP/FTP! My long-term aim is to persuade
ftpmaster@d.o to put these files in the main Debian FTP area and have
them mirrored by all regular Debian mirrors.

Help needed!

Unfortunately, jigdo development has slowed down a lot since October
because I have to study for my diploma. :-( I hope to get the GTK+
jigdo into a usable state before woody is released, but cannot promise

If somebody would like to help, there are several possibilities:

- Setting up the generation of weekly CD snapshots of testing on
  cdimage, and their distribution via jigdo.
- Maintaining the updated cdimage website. I've done a redesign (see
  other mail), but a lot of work still remains to be done. It would be
  nice if someone took this over, so that I can concentrate on jigdo.
- Helping with the implementation of jigdo. This won't be easy since
  it'll require a lot of coordination between me and other people
  working on the code, but would be very welcome nevertheless!

Where to get it

Source and binaries are available from

If you want to build the .debs, just unpack the source tarball, then
"./configure && make deb". For aptable i386 debs use:

deb http://home.in.tum.de/atterer/debian unstable jigdo

All the best,

  __   _
  ¯ ´` ¯