Re: jigdo 0.6.0 - jigdo beta site is now live!

On Thu 15 Nov, Richard Atterer wrote:
> Hello,

> Jigsaw Download 0.6.0 has been released. jigdo is the proposed
> replacement for the pseudo image kit.

> jigdo-lite is contained in the jigdo-file_0.6.0 package on my
> homepage. Install that .deb, run jigdo-lite, then follow the
> instructions. The .jigdo files that the program asks for are located
> at <http://cdimage.debian.org/~atterer/jigdo/>.

> Note that you can use jigdo-lite to "upgrade", say, from a 2.2r3 CD
> image to a 2.2r4 CD image.

> Please give me feedback about any success or failure!

OK. I tried it. (as I need to upgrade my 2.2r3 images to 2.2r4).

Apt-getting debs worked OK and installed ok (on an x86 'testing' box).

It all seems to work fine - just a few 'user experience' issues for
jigdo-lite.  It's be nice for it to ask all the questions at the beginning
(or at least only after the jidgo file) so I don't have to wait whilst it
downloads the template file and _then_ tell it where my locally-mounted set
of files is, then do all of those and, then ask where the server to use is. I
can see that some of the questions depend on previous status, but a bit of
pre-asking would be good.

Also during the downloading of files from my locally-mounted file source the
path was quite long and all the filenames wrapped to the next line and then
got covered by the progress-counter which looks messy. Best solution here
would be to show the start of the path and the full leafname but not the bit
in the middle if its going to wrap. And backspace didn't work when entering
URLS etc (it's a normal linux text-mode 25x80 virtual terminal) (fortunately
delete did). They work at a normal prompt.

Apart from that it all seems to work nicely. (I'll find out in a few hours
time when it's collected the remaining 300-odd files that weren't on the
2.2r3 CD or in my local archive)

For my purposes PIK is useful because it generates a list of files that are
missing so I can tell ncftp to get them all and put them in my archive then
run PIK again. This ensures my local archive is uptodate wrt current CDs. So
far as I can see jigdo doesn't generate such a list of missing files, so
whilst it will make nice CD images it doesn't help keep the archive updated.

(yes I know there are other tools to do this but I've had limited sucess
getting them to download the parts I want but not the parts I don't!). It was
all OK before this pools lark - now everything has got rather complicated.

I need to have another go at getting Otto's scripts to do what I want...

Wookey