Re: Why the non-free packages are in ALL cd?

Hello,

> I'm downloading the woody iso from ftp.fsn.hu, but I've seen that
> there are non-free packages in all cdroms. Why this? I'm using and
> promoting Debian because it haven't software non-free and I can better
> control the license of installed software.
Grrr. Until this release the non-free stuff lived on a separate CD (the
last one), because of the Debian policy on the official CD set. Last week
(and some weeks before) I got mails from several people, asking for a
mixed release.

Now what?

I can do three variations:

- mixed non-free/free packages on the CDs
- separate non-free CD
- separate non-free CD, in a multisession writable format (suggested by
Gyorgy Pasztor)

Personally, I like the first version, because I think this licensing stuff
sucks (for example I like the idea to have a full CD set in my pocket with
all the software, so if I need to use eg. the dbase stuff in php I don't
have to download it, because it is on the CDs). BTW, the whole non-free
thing enlarges the last CD with around 200 MB. If you can download 3 GBs
off the net, you won't worth to download that extra 200 MB.

The second version is for that people who don't like to download that 200
MB and are true americans (freedom above everything). I like that idea
too, because liberty is an important thing, but this is like the issue
between BSDL<->GPL. Which gives you more freedom?

I think the third version is the best, because this way the user can
decide whether he/she downloads the non-free stuff or not, and if he/she
wants the software he/she can burn the non-free software after the last CD
into a separate session.

BTW, there are many-many problems with the last one. I think I give only
one example, when the user asks, how he could burn the CDs, because they
don't know what's the .raw extension.

I don't know, I don't have enough space to satisfy everybody's needs,
sorry. I am only doing my best.

Attila Nagy                                    e-mail:  Attila.Nagy@fsn.hu
Budapest Polytechnic (BMF.HU)                   @work: +361 210 1415 (194)
H-1084 Budapest, Tavaszmezo u. 15-17.           cell.: +3630 306 6758