Re: Potato and Woody CD builds

On Sun, 31 Dec 2000, Philip Charles wrote:
[...]
> I took a good look at the CD trees.
>
> Potato binary.  No change as there is nothing in pool yet.
> Potato source.  The source that lives in pool ends up in ../main/source/
> 		on the CDs.  The files are listed in Sources.gz on the CD.

Okay, I don't expect problems there since there'll always be potato->pool
symlinks.

> Woody binary.	Packages in potato and pool end up on the CDs each with
> 		their own files system ie ../potato/ and ../pool/
> 		However, these packages are _not_ included in Packages on
> 		the CDs.  Neither are they included in ?.Packages used in
> 		the CD build, but they are found in ?.packages.
> Woody source.	The source that lives in pool ends up in ../main/source/
> 		on the CDs and is included in Sources.gz.  However, the
> 		source that lives in potato has its own potato file system
> 		and is _not_ included in Sources.gz.  Neither are they
> 		found in ?.sources or ?.sources.main used in the CD build.
> 		But, files in pool are included in these lists.
>
> IMHO the major problem is the building of the Packages and Sources files
> for the CDs.

This is only a temporary problem; once the new apt-cdrom supports it we can
just copy the entire (gpg-signed) main archive's Packages(.gz) to the CD.

Until that time it would be easiest to generate just one big Packages file per
CD, executing "dpkg-scanpackages . [override] . > Packages" in the CD's root
directory. This will pick up every .deb on the CD and AFAICS current apt-cdrom
should handle this nicely. (You shouldn't even have to delete the other
Packages already present.)

> A successful new Millennium to everyone.

Thanks!

Best wishes to all,

  Anne Bezemer