Re: SoundBlaster cdrom problems and check-debian-cd

Neil Shadrach wrote:

> [...]
> >  > > ).
> >  > > The same is true under Windows 95.
> >  >
> >  > Really?  Wait, you only get the errors when copying files from the
> >  > debian-cd, either under linux or windows, but in windows (or whatever)
> >  > you can copy other cds files around ok?  This would indicate a cd
> >  > problem.  I've cc'd debian-cd.
> >  >
> >  > > I've not had any problems with other cds on the same box.
> >  > > On the other hand I've used the same cds to install debian on a
> >  > > different machine.
> >  > > Could it be some subtle change/new faeture in the cd format or is my
> >  > > machine just inconsistent?
> >  >
> >  > > I think that the problems tend to occur with larger files but I haven't
> >  > > tested this exhaustively.
> >  >
> >  > That would be my guess.  Subtle hardware problem which is triggered by
> >  > large files.  Do you have any settings you can twiddle?
> >  >
> >  > > -----------
> >  > > sbp_data: CDi_status loop expired
> >  > > sbp_data: CDi_status timeout ( timed_out_data ) (FB)
> >  > > sbp_data: RESULT_READY where DATA_READY awaited (FB)
> >  > >                 DATA_READY timeout (FF)
> >  > >                 read aborted by drive
> >                   ==========================
> >
> >  > > !st_diskok detected - retrying
> >  > > !st_diskok detected - retrying
> >  > > !st_diskok detected - retrying
> >  > > sbp_status: failed after 3 tries in line 4897
> >  > > END_REQUEST: I/O ERROR, dev 19:00 ( matsushita cd-rom controller #1 ),
> >  > > sector 101782
> >
> >  This is a problem with your drive (not the software), it just can't read the
> >  CD. The CD may be dirty, so cleaning it is advisable. Sector 101782 is about
> >  200MB, so your "problem" is located at 1/3rd of the width of the CD counting
> >  from the center. It also may be that the CD's track is swaying a bit and your
> >  old drive can't cope with that, in that case ticking on the tray while
> >  accessing the CD might help.
> >
> Had another go last night on two files ( one large one small ) in
> /dists/potato/main/binary-all/tex - both failed to copy to hard disk.
> tetex-base_1.0-10.deb ( 10,999,680 ) gave similar errors to before for
> sectors 858176 - 858204 and
> task_tex_0.2.deb ( 2228 ) for sectors 858168 - 858172.
> Under Windows 95 on the same machine I got the following
> Cannot copy task_tex_0.2: Cannot read from the source file or disk
> ( the Properties looked ok though )
> At work on a different pc ( different type of cd player ) built from the
> same disks both files copied successfully although I did get an error
> message
> cdrom_decode_status: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> cdrom_decode_status: error=0x34
>
> So the evidence seems to point to the drive except for the fact that it
> hasn't displayed problems with other cds.
>
> Thanks to Anne and Adam for the response.

I ran check-debian-cd on the pc which can read the cd ( and was in fact built using
it ) and it gave the following
---
This is "Debian 2.2 r0 i386 Bin-1_NONUS"
Checking MD5 hash...hdc: cdrom_decode_status: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete
Error }
hdc: cdrom_decode_status: error=0x34
hdc: cdrom_decode_status: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdc: cdrom_decode_status: error=0x34
hdc: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdc: command error: error=0x54
end_request: I/O error, dev 16:00 (hdc), sector 1253292
ATAPI device hdc:
  Error: Illegal request -- (Sense key=0x05)
  Illegal mode for this track or incompatible medium -- (asc=0x64, ascq=0x00)
 FAILED!
---
Should I conclude that the disk itself does have flaws but that they are only fatal
to some drives?
( By the way the disk is from http://www.linux123.co.uk/ )