Re: SoundBlaster cdrom problems

>  On 29 Sep 2000, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
>
>  > Neil Shadrach writes:
>  >
>  > > is ok - from floppies, but I'm having trouble with the cd.
>  > > I can mount it, wander the directories and even copy many of the files
>  > > to the hard disk.
>  > > However attempts to copy some files fail with i/o errors ( detail below
>  > > ).
>  > > The same is true under Windows 95.
>  >
>  > Really?  Wait, you only get the errors when copying files from the
>  > debian-cd, either under linux or windows, but in windows (or whatever)
>  > you can copy other cds files around ok?  This would indicate a cd
>  > problem.  I've cc'd debian-cd.
>  >
>  > > I've not had any problems with other cds on the same box.
>  > > On the other hand I've used the same cds to install debian on a
>  > > different machine.
>  > > Could it be some subtle change/new faeture in the cd format or is my
>  > > machine just inconsistent?
>  >
>  > > I think that the problems tend to occur with larger files but I haven't
>  > > tested this exhaustively.
>  >
>  > That would be my guess.  Subtle hardware problem which is triggered by
>  > large files.  Do you have any settings you can twiddle?
>  >
>  > > -----------
>  > > sbp_data: CDi_status loop expired
>  > > sbp_data: CDi_status timeout ( timed_out_data ) (FB)
>  > > sbp_data: RESULT_READY where DATA_READY awaited (FB)
>  > >                 DATA_READY timeout (FF)
>  > >                 read aborted by drive
>                   ==========================
>
>  > > !st_diskok detected - retrying
>  > > !st_diskok detected - retrying
>  > > !st_diskok detected - retrying
>  > > sbp_status: failed after 3 tries in line 4897
>  > > END_REQUEST: I/O ERROR, dev 19:00 ( matsushita cd-rom controller #1 ),
>  > > sector 101782
>
>  This is a problem with your drive (not the software), it just can't read the
>  CD. The CD may be dirty, so cleaning it is advisable. Sector 101782 is about
>  200MB, so your "problem" is located at 1/3rd of the width of the CD counting
>  from the center. It also may be that the CD's track is swaying a bit and your
>  old drive can't cope with that, in that case ticking on the tray while
>  accessing the CD might help.

Had another go last night on two files ( one large one small ) in
/dists/potato/main/binary-all/tex - both failed to copy to hard disk.
tetex-base_1.0-10.deb ( 10,999,680 ) gave similar errors to before for
sectors 858176 - 858204 and
task_tex_0.2.deb ( 2228 ) for sectors 858168 - 858172.
Under Windows 95 on the same machine I got the following
Cannot copy task_tex_0.2: Cannot read from the source file or disk
( the Properties looked ok though )
At work on a different pc ( different type of cd player ) built from the
same disks both files copied successfully although I did get an error
message
cdrom_decode_status: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
cdrom_decode_status: error=0x34

So the evidence seems to point to the drive except for the fact that it
hasn't displayed problems with other cds.

Thanks to Anne and Adam for the response.

Neil Shadrach