Re: New mirror, ftp.acc.umu.se

On Thu, 3 Aug 2000, J.A. Bezemer wrote:

> On Wed, 2 Aug 2000, Mattias Wadenstein wrote:
>
> > The rsync part takes a bunch of CPU power, probably the time for
> > calculating a bunch of checksums. And that rsync takes aobut 10 minutes
> > too.
>
> Correct. On my Pentium 75 it also takes about 10 minutes. (And another 10
> minutes to pump it over a 33k6 modem, and at least another 10 minutes for the
> re-creation depending on the difference between the versions. -- But that's
> only the rsync; make-pseudo-image also takes some 15 minutes.)

Seems similar to this machine when it comes to speed. Perhaps churchill is
a bit slower, but probably bigger. :)

> > Loadgraph:
> > http://www.acc.umu.se/technical/statistics/loadavg/view.html.en?name=churchill
> >
> > I started the multigrab at 14 CET, which should be noticable. :)
> >
> > Time: 12460.08u 24367.33s 11:49:09.45 -14.-3%
>
> Very nice indeed ;-)  And for 6x4=24 images it's 30 minutes per image, which
> is absolutely not bad. On a K6 350MHz I get "only" 20 minutes per image.

Well, considering that I think about 10 minutes (1 meg/s) is pretty normal
for grabbing an image off the net, and even faster if it is a good
connection and a fast server in the other end. If it goes down under
0.5M/s I start complaining on how slow it is. As I did with the
pseudo-image-kit. ;)

The joys of academic networks and lots of bandwidth. :)

> > I also made some modifications to the multigrab script (so that you can
> > run "multigrab */*.list"), and some other modifications here and there
> > (I don't remember if all was changing the shell to bash instead of /bin/sh
> > which is really slow on solaris, or if I made more modifications :/ ).
>
> Ok, got'em. I'll try to have a look at them when I wake up again ;-)

Good luck! :)

/Mattias Wadenstein - now member of this list and some others