Re: point release versioning [was Re: dedication]

Jens Müller <jens@unfaehig.de> writes:

> Excuse me for asking, but what does this discussion still have to do with
> debian-cd?

Well, given that there has been some confusion between the versions
used for releases, and the versions used on CDs in the past, it's
probably worth discussing this until we have a consensus.

Also, AFAIK several of the CD vendors are subscribed to this list, so
it's worth mentioning it here to ensure that they are aware of the
version numbering strategy we are going to adopt, so that they do any
publicity they produce in a consistent manner.

Oh, and just as a reminder to the CD vendors, the whole reason we're
doing the ``r'' thing (rather than 2.2.0, say) is to allow you to
refer to any revision you produce as being ``Debian 2.2'' in
publicity, which _may_ help reduce the amount of wastage you have to
put up with, and will ensure that you can produce an advert without
finding that the version is out of date before the magazine hits the
streets.

So on the whole, it's best for you to ignore the revision number,
unless someone actually phones up and asks for a specific revision.

Cheers, Phil.

P.S. If your tempted to object about the evil marketing lie that is
the R in our version numbers, read the archives first.