Re: How much free space is on the CDs? Life-Filesystem

On 20 Jun 2000, Goswin Brederlow wrote:

>      > On 18 Jun 2000, Goswin Brederlow wrote:
>
>     >> I'm still working on a Life-Filesystem for Debian ranging from
>     >> 20 to 200 Mb of size.
>
>      > Excellent!
>
>     >> I now wonder how much space there is left on the Debian CDs for
>     >> such a thing at the moment.
>     >>
>     >> Does anyone have the current sizes at hand?
>
>      > Let's see... the test-cycle-2 i386 Binary-3 CD w/non-US w/o
>      > non-free is 508196864 bytes, which leaves roughly 150 MB for
>      > "something else". If non-free is included, there is a fourth CD
>      > with only ~100 MB on it.
>
> So I should get my "multiple loopback filesystem" support fixed, so
> that when you have two CDroms (or copy some loopback file somewhere
> else) you can use multiple loopback filesystems.
>
> That way I could make a root.img, games.img, x.img, web.img and
> whatever is found is mounted and they could be split on the two CDs.

Wow! This sounds _very_ interesting ;-)

> PS: I hope nobody minds using vesa2 framebuffer (slow but compatible)
> and devfs support.

Do you _have_ to use framebuffer? I personally would like it very much if
things would also run on a 386 w/CGA, like "standard Debian" does ;-)

Don't mind about devfs, as long as it "just works".

Regards,
  Anne Bezemer