Re: Updated non-free patch

jason andrade <jason@dstc.edu.au> writes:

> On 8 Jun 2000, Philip Hands wrote:
>
> > I've got room to do more than one test-cycle-2 set, so I guess I could
> > do a USexportable set initially, and then try for a combined US/non-US
> > one after that.  Any thoughts?
>
> for us mirrors out in the wide world who really aren't involved in the
> process but are just an alternate (faster/cheaper) geographic site to
> download from instead of cdimage..
>
> if you are producing test-cycle-2, will there be a high degree of
> commonality with the test-cycle-1 images ?  i am just working out
> the rsync bill to update at present...

I'd guess it will be reasonably close (other than the new package
versions), hopefully with just an extra CD image for the US-exportable
#1, but that remains to be seen.

The two CD#1's should have loads in common too.

> also, will you be replacing test-cycle-1 images (i hope!) or setting up
> a separate test-cycle-2 (i don't have the disk space or can afford the
> time/money to maintain 2 separate sets)

I've not got room for two full sets either (unless I delete the 2.1
CDs), so I'll be replacing things once they look like they're better
than the test-cycle-1 attempts.

> lastly, the test-cycle currently has i386, alpha, sparc and source - will
> there be any other arches images being produced on the basis that the
> test-cycle-2 is much closer to `final release' 2.2 images ?  so when you
> go live (which is about when?) i can have pre-mirrored most of the data
> and rely on rsync updates to quickly have full release images available.

Anything that builds in a semi-valid state for each architecture
that's getting a 2.2 release, will get published.

Cheers, Phil.