Attempted upgrade

I have just finished repairing my system after testing the upgrade system
as one would expect it would be done by someone using CDs for this
purpose.

My system is slink with potato additions and upgrades for debian-cd.  The
machine is a Pentium with 64 MB RAM.

I prepared a disc set using an updated mirror adding upgrade-i386 to the
first CD and installed dpkg and apt from this directory.  apt-cdrom add,
and apt-get update were then run.  No problems.

On running apt-get -f -u --simulate dist-upgrade I found that I would run
into perl problems.  However, having made a complete backup, I continued.

apt-get -f -u dist-upgrade was then run.  It stopped with this error at
the first deinstall.

***
/var/lib/dpkg/info/egcc.prerm: /usr/sbin/update-alternatives: No such file
or directory
dpkg: error processing egcc (--remove):
 subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
/var/lib/dpkg/info/egcc.postinst: /usr/sbin/update-alternatives: No such
file or directory
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
 egcc
***

/user/sbin/update-alternatives  does exist!  Mind you it is a perl script.
egcc was laboriously removed by hand as it was very broken.

Then apt-get -f -u dist-upgrade was then run again

Some packages were replaced

***
Preparing to replace gcc 2.7.2.3-7 (using .../devel/gcc_2.95.2-12.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement gcc ...
Preparing to replace cpp 2.7.2.3-7 (using
.../interpreters/cpp_2.95.2-12.deb) ...
/var/lib/dpkg/info/cpp.prerm: /usr/sbin/install-info: No such file or
directory
dpkg: warning - old pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...
dpkg: ... it looks like that went OK.
***

About 2-3 other packages were replaced in a similar way.  Then the upgrade
fell over again.

***
/var/lib/dpkg/info/g++.prerm: /usr/sbin/install-info: No such file or
directory
dpkg: warning - old pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...
/var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/prerm: /usr/sbin/update-alternatives: No such file or
directory
dpkg: error processing
/cdrom//dists/potato/main/binary-i386/devel/g++_2.95.2-12.deb (--unpack):
 subprocess new pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
/var/lib/dpkg/info/g++.postinst: /usr/sbin/install-info: No such file or
directory
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
 /cdrom//dists/potato/main/binary-i386/devel/g++_2.95.2-12.deb
stephen:~# exit
***

g++ is properly installed.  /usr/sbin/install-info does exist (but again
a perl script).

I then gave up and repaired my system.

Any ideas, comments or suggestions?  I propose to run a second test
upgrade using apt and dpkg already in the system, but I would like to know
what others think before I do this.  Once this is sorted out, then I would
risk upgrading my wife's 486 which is a clean, standard  slink
installation.

Phil.

-
Philip Charles; 39a Paterson St., Abbotsford, New Zealand; +64 3 4882818