Re: test-cycle-1 CD's debian-cd diff

Le Fri, May 26, 2000 at 09:23:36AM +0100, Philip Hands écrivait:
>   the SIZELIMIT1 setting was being ignored for some reason (it seems
>   that the way the makefile was trying to pass them on wasn't working.

If this doesn't work we should have noticed it way before ... i've built
dozen of CDs using this and I've had no problem so far.

Maybe were you having troubles because you forgot to launch make distclean
between you different tries... no ?

>   Having @ in front of every command makes debugging painful.  I've replaced
>   them with $(Q) so you can switch debugging on/off with Q=@ at the top

That's not so usuful since the code in the Makefile isn't so huge and it's
well separated in different blocks. When you see an error in the log you
just need to check the informative message before and you know where the
problem was, after that it's quick to check (on the shell) what didn't
work.

>   build_all.sh should have ``set -x'' so it bails out if one of the makes
>   fails.

Well, you meant set -e and no, i dont think we want that since  i'm
checking $? after some critical commands. However you may add more
if [ $? -gt 0 ]; then echo "problem..." >&2; exit 1; fi;
after make list for example or after make official_images ...

>   I added Philip Charles' first CD "needed" list, and added ssh &
>   gnupg to it, and put an inclusion for it into the tasks list above
>   the language tasks.  Does that seem like the right place to put it?

Yes but I still wonder why this list is needed. What were the criteria
for selecting those packages on CD1 ? debian-cd should garanty the
consistency of CDs wrt to dependencies ... if it doesn't for some packages
then it's a bug !

>   I put Anne's upgrade-i386 directory in place on my mirror, and made
>   the i386 upgrade.sh use it.  (the static binaries should probably be

Well, I won't commit such a change until the upgrade dir is available on
the official mirror.

>   The build process displays the size used for the base system.

Yes, but that's only packages of priority required, important & standard.
It doesn't count the disks-$arch directory. Please check the latest
build_all.sh script in the CVS. Ben commited a change that will calculate
on the fly the "good" size. It does simply take an arbitrary limit (630MB)
and removes the size of the disks-$arch directory.

For the rest, regarding Anne's patche, I commited it with some
modification at the beginning of the week. And the rest is useless
changes I think.