RE: Linux v. Microsoft MD5SUMS

On Fri, 26 May 2000, Mark wrote:

> The problem is that under MSDog/Windoze md5sum is calculating the
> MD5SUM on the .exe as if it was a text file, where as Linux
> recognizes that it is a binary file and calculates the binary hash.
>
> force msdog to calculate the binary hash with -b eg.
> MD5SUM -b md5sum.exe
> 799812dfc33eeeb8c28d53b7469f7197 *md5sum.exe

Actually, you _should_ not have to do that. I remember choosing this
particular `md5sum.exe' because it gave me always binary-mode output - just
like the Linux version. (It's compiled under cygwin, the "Linux layer" for
Windows.)

It's also strange that I only now get this report, while the Pseudo-Image Kit
has been used for a long time by a great many people, on all sorts of
platforms. So I have some suspicions that it's a problem with your platform,
rather than with the "stock" md5sum.exe. You don't happen to have a
CYGWIN=textmode setting (DOS `set' command)?

Maybe later today I can investigate things further (I don't usually boot into
Win95 ;-).

Regards,
  Anne Bezemer