Re: Help: Sh.exe errors.

On Mon, 14 Feb 2000, Miller,Dwayne wrote:

> Ok this is being sent to both the address on the debain cdimage website,
> and the address in the readme file, if neither are the correct person to
> write with this problem, please forward this letter to the correct
> person and drop me a quick note letting me know that you have done so...

Actually, both are correct ;-)

> Ok, This is the problem.
>
> SH is giving me errors under Win98. All I did was follow your
> directions, it makes a bunch of empty files. And then starts giving me
> this fault error in windows kernel.
>
> I have no idea what you need for error info, ask and I will send you
> anything I can tell you, The following is some of the basics about this
> windows box.

Thanks for offering help. We've received two similar reports, but were not
able to track it down to the exact cause.

I guess you used a command like

  make-pseudo-image binary-i386-1.list ftp://ftp-server.somewhere/debian

which produced the errors.

Could you please do the following:

1. Unzip the Pseudo-Image Kit to a brand-new directory, and copy
   the binary-i386-1.list file there, too. Then give the command

     make-pseudo-image binary-i386-1.list http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian

   (literally, don't use another server)
   This uses the HTTP method, which doesn't use SH.EXE. You should see
   progress messages in the DOS box, and no errors. If all goes well,
   you can close the DOS box after a few minutes (force it close), and
   the "pseudo-image" file should have a reasonable size.

2. Unzip again as in (1), but now give the command

     make-pseudo-image binary-i386-1.list //c/nothing

   (again the //c/nothing literally)
   This uses the "local file" method. It should produce many WARNING:'s
   in the DOS box, but no errrors in the kernel. It should be finished
   in a minute, and the "pseudo-image" file should have length 0.

Please report your experiences. If both (1) and (2) go well, we've at least
narrowed the problem to the FTP method. I already have a few ideas how to
proceed from there.

Regards,
  Anne Bezemer