Re: Debian CD-image

On Mon, 14 Feb 2000, Myers wrote:

> Update to problems; Sparc LX and SS1
> "make-pseudo-image" has worked as advertised. At the step "move
> pseudo-image binary-sparc-1.iso" I received an error message which I
> have since tried to duplicate and can't. I used win98 explorer to rename

(Quite possibly a typo like psuedo-image)

> pseudo-image to binary-sparc-1.iso where the extension in the default
> explorer is not shown as .iso or .exe or .bin. The iso file is listed as
> just an "Easy CD Creator Image File". I, me, myself  ended up making the
> mistake of unknowlingly naming binary-sparc-1.iso.iso

One more reason not to trust M$ stuff ;-)

> When using "rsync" it happily downloaded, as I suspected, the whole
> 557Mb of files again as it didn't have a valid binary-sparc-1.iso file
> to compare and use.
> No warnings were given, "rsync" perhaps should have a flag or switch
> such as -lf  ; check for valid "local file", and if none give a warning.

Such functionality can possibly be implemented in rsync.bat. I'll need to
reread the DOS manuals on batch programming ;-)

> Of course a "dry run" would catch the same problem.
> I only clued in after the download when doing md5sum binary-sparc-1.iso
> which gave an error; no such file. Digging into win98 explorer by
> setting the format to "classic" style the type showed up as .iso.iso!
> Getting rid of the extra .iso and the md5sum was ok.
>
> Using Anne's suggestion for binary-sparc-2.iso I converted a 2.1_r2 CD
> into iso format. With "rsync" building 2.1_r4 it took three tries to get
> the checksum correct; times where 90, 32, and 13 minutes. Actually a
> very efficient way to upgrade.

I guess you just repeated the same rsync command; in this kind of situation,
it might help to increase the block size from 8192 to 16384 or even 65536.
This is likely to reduce mis-matches (which is the problem here) because the
server then has less checksums to choose from.

> I think it would help to add a few of these techniques , pitfalls and
> methods to rthe ead me file

I'll keep it in mind for a next version.

On your install problems, you'd better contact debian-sparc@lists.debian.org
or debian-boot@lists.debian.org.

Regards,
  Anne Bezemer