Pseudo-Image-kit problems.

Im trying to upgrade my last machine to run linux. I have been trying to
make an iso image of debian slink 2.1_r4. I am very determined

Here is my setup.crappy Win98SE with 56k modem dialup connection. sux I
know.

I made the pseudo-image works fine.

When I ran rsync.bat, rsyncreal dies since the pseudo-image kit does not
come with an
rsh, and definitely not with an ssh.
Although the debian-cd web page says 98 is supported, but after one installs
cygwin and finds an rsh that works in windows. This should be added to the
readme file.
Especially the rsh part. Why doesn't the kit come with rsh?

So eventually, I found an rsh, that was working for the most part. Next step
was to retry rsynching the image.

Well I ran into the fact the most of the us mirrors on the
http://cdimage.debian.org/rsync-mirrors.html page need manual modifications
of the path. In any case,

Since I have to rsync over 56k its slow. Here is how I have tried running
them
rsyncreal --verbose --progress --stats --block-size=8192 \
rsync.kernel.org::mirrors/debian-cd/2.1_r4/i386/binary-i386-1.iso

rsyncreal -cvz --partial --progress --stats --block-size=8192 \
rsync.kernel.org::mirrors/debian-cd/2.1_r4/i386/binary-i386-1.iso .

rsyncreal -vz --partial --progress --stats --block-size=8192 \
rsync.kernel.org::mirrors/debian-cd/2.1_r4/i386/binary-i386-1.iso .

Ive managed to get up to 97% complete. But by then I get an error message:
read error: Connection reset by peer

I will also try other mirrors. (For results of this go to bottom of this
email, one of the mirrors completely erased my iso and started from scratch)
Most of the time no partial files were created. Once there was a partial
file but on rerun, rsync ignored it. doh.

So close, yet so far. I have tried several different rsync binaries found
around the web, only the one in the kit gets that close. All the others
freeze/crash.
Since I cant find a command line ssh that works under Win9x, Im out of luck
that part.

So in conclusion my questions are:
Is there a way I can run "rsyncreal" to either create/use the partial images
(different from above)
or not drop the connections to the rsync mirrors?
Does anyone have a pointer to an rsh/ssh that works under win9x console with
the kit's rsync client  and
with 56k connections.

Issues with the kit for 98.
No rsh.
Not sure if needed but the kit should tell users to install cygwin. Although
cygwin doesn't include rsh.
How to get rsync working over proxy. Some of the rsync clents Ive read about
use the RSYNC_PROXY variable, does the
'rsyncreal' client use it? If not the kit should tell people that they're
out of luck, and find a machine thats not behind a proxy/firewall.
Maybe someone has a batch file that will take the user through the entire
process? I can see why people are bitching. The prcoess is
a good "filter" against those people. Maybe too good.

Attempt at other us mirrors:USA, California

D:\Debian>rsyncreal -cvz --partial --progress --stats --block-size=8192
freesoft
ware.coe.missouri.edu::debian-cd/2.1/i386/binary-i386-1.iso . // as
suggested in the kit.
NOTE: THIS IS A MODIFIED VERSION OF RSYNC.
// i will skip these messages
USE IT ONLY TO GET ONE FILE AT A TIME FROM AN ANONYMOUS RSYNC SERVER.
2.1/i386/binary-i386-1.iso : No such file or directory
client: nothing to do

D:\Debian>rsyncreal -cvz --partial --progress --stats --block-size=8192
freesoft
ware.coe.missouri.edu::debian-cd/2.1_r4/i386/binary-i386-1.iso .
2.1_r4/i386/binary-i386-1.iso : No such file or directory
client: nothing to do

D:\Debian>rsyncreal freesoftware.coe.missouri.edu::
anonymous       exports (approx 12.7GB)
debian-cd       i386 and source debian master images

D:\Debian>rsyncreal --dry-run freesoftware.coe.missouri.edu::debian-cd/\*
MD5SUMS
binary-i386-1.iso
binary-i386-1.list
binary-i386-2.iso
binary-i386-2.list
wrote 91 bytes  read 155 bytes  44.73 bytes/sec
total size is 1193795800  speedup is 4852828.46

rsyncreal -cvz --partial --progress --stats --block-size=8192
freesoftware.coe.missouri.edu::debian-cd/binary-i386-1.iso .

Starts downloading the iso really slow. I see. I deleted the entired
iso and is starting from scratch. Well thats not going to work. Have to
restore my backup.

/*----------------------------------------------------------------------
Greg Czajkowski
College of Engineering
Computer Engineering BS 1999
University of Illinois at Chambana
gczajkow___AT___students.uiuc.edu  ICQ#1256650

"Love is a certain inborn *suffering* derived from the sight of and
excessive meditation upon the beauty of the opposite sex, which causes
each one to wish above all things the embraces of the other and by
common desire to carry out all of love's precepts in the other's
embrace." -Andreas Capellanus.