Re: Debian CD-image

Update to problems; Sparc LX and SS1
"make-pseudo-image" has worked as advertised. At the step "move pseudo-image binary-sparc-1.iso" I received an error message which I have since tried to duplicate and can't. I used win98 explorer to rename pseudo-image to binary-sparc-1.iso where the extension in the default explorer is not shown as .iso or .exe or .bin. The iso file is listed as just an "Easy CD Creator Image File". I, me, myself  ended up making the mistake of unknowlingly naming binary-sparc-1.iso.iso

When using "rsync" it happily downloaded, as I suspected, the whole 557Mb of files again as it didn't have a valid binary-sparc-1.iso file to compare and use.
No warnings were given, "rsync" perhaps should have a flag or switch such as -lf  ; check for valid "local file", and if none give a warning. Of course a "dry run" would catch the same problem.
I only clued in after the download when doing md5sum binary-sparc-1.iso which gave an error; no such file. Digging into win98 explorer by setting the format to "classic" style the type showed up as .iso.iso! Getting rid of the extra .iso and the md5sum was ok.

Using Anne's suggestion for binary-sparc-2.iso I converted a 2.1_r2 CD into iso format. With "rsync" building 2.1_r4 it took three tries to get the checksum correct; times where 90, 32, and 13 minutes. Actually a very efficient way to upgrade.

I think it would help to add a few of these techniques , pitfalls and methods to rthe ead me file

Using these new CD's, I tried to install on a SparcLX, 32 Mb ram, boot prom 2.9, sun+ external cdrom, and a freshly formatted 540Mb IBM HD. Helped knowing about hidden "s" for sun at HD partition.
The CD booted, but install failed at "install modules and kernels" from cdrom. For some reason could not mount cdrom even though it booted from it. Continued install from floppies, ok until selecting cdrom as method of install in "dselect". Again could not mount cdrom! Plugged in my internet connection, used my main computer IP address etc settings and was able to continue install via ftp/http. Would help if there was an autoprobe or manual selection  at network setup time.
 Is this CD install a known problem at "install modules and kernel" plus not finding cdrom for "dselect" install?     Suggestions?    I have gotten Debain working a few times before; my best luck was with using boot floppies from potato disk 15 Jan 2000 .

My experience with RedHat 6.1 was excellent using boot floppy which quickly grabbed CDROM for remainder of install , autoprobed network . Problem free and fast on both the SparcStation1 and the LX.

Peter Myers

On Thu, 10 Feb 2000, Peter Myers wrote:

> An update on trying to create binary-sparc-1.iso image. Took a total of
> 12 hours to make pseudo-image using ftp.kernel.org which tested to be
> the fasted site for me. The log shows files downloaded between 20 to 70
> kbs, average 40. The make-pseudo-image program froze 8 to 9 times, but
> in all cases was able to restart. Would have been an hour or two shorter
> as I was not always in the room when the download froze.

This seems all right, as you previously said you got 40 - 60 kB/sec average.
That it froze might well be due to your ISP cutting off connections that are
open too long (I know some do). But that's just what make-pseudo-image is
designed for.

(You talked about parallel downloads before. I think the script can be
modified to do that, but at the moment I don't have the time for it...)

> Presently running rynsc. 3 hours, 10 minutes = 37%, 213Mb processed. A
> straight download of the complete iso image usually takes me 3 hours.

This isn't right. Even over a 56k modem it should only take about 30 minutes.
If you used --stats, you'll get a screenful of statistics info when rsync
ends. I'd very much like to see that, because it can give an indication where
the problem lies.

Furthermore, I'd appreciate it if you could send me your most recent
pseudo-image. files (if you still have them). Please zip them
together and send them to my private address (not to the entire debian-cd
list).

Regards,
  Anne Bezemer