Re: Potato: 1 disk for binary-all ?

On Wed, 26 Jan 2000, J.A. Bezemer wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Jan 2000, Alfred Munnikes wrote:
>
> > I have seen that Potato is about 2 GB (incl non-free),
> > so that will be a lot of CD's if you want more than one
> > architecture (i386/sparc/alpha/....)
> >
> > Would it be an idee to put all the main/binary-all (+/- 675 MB)
> > on one disk ?
> > It does save space on the mirror site, CD's on your desktop
> > and money. (at least 3 * 650 MB)
> >
> > Oke I see that 675 MB doesn't fit on one CD, but if you
> > move (for example) the kernelpatch
> > main/binary-all/devel/kernel-patch-2.0.36-m68k_2.0.36-5.deb
> > and more of that kind of file's that are architecture specific
> > to the binary-(i386|sparc|...) I think that it will fit on one CD.
>
> This isn't a bad idea.
>
> However, the current scheme is binary-1 = most used packages, binary-2 = less
> used packages, binary-3 = least used packages (etc.)  This allows distributing
> only binary-1 with still a reasonably complete system, something that is done
> often at shows/expos. Of course binary-1 has a lot of binary-all packages.
>
> But it might be possible to put the rest of the binary-all packages on the
> i386-binary-2 CD, and remove these from the other archs. apt-cdrom should be
> able to handle this well. Raphael, is something like this at all possible with
> YACS?
>
> > One bad thing, if you install Debian you have to change CD's, but is
> > that a big problem ?
> > It isn't Windows, so you install it once and not every month ;-)
>
> You'll have to change them anyway. But apt-cdrom should handle this
> intelligently, requiring only a few swaps.

I certainly understand the problem caused by the debian iso images and
that is why I don't store them, just a mirror and the disc trees.

As a vendor I find that high end user with good net access and knowledge
generally uses a mirror.  The hobbiest, small network administrator, home
worker and the like are the ones who use CDs.  They want a fast, simple
installation which means minimal disc swapping which in turn means that
packages need to be available when required including binary-all.

Phil.

-
Philip Charles; 39a Paterson St., Abbotsford, New Zealand; +64 3 4882818