Re: potato install cd with 2.2.14 kernel

On Tue, 25 Jan 2000, ethan fremen wrote:

> I have a IP number & solid net connection for the
> machine I need to build on, so just a base install is
> necessary.

You can try to get the base system via NFS. The only problem is that not much
mirrors offer "anonymous" NFS-access to their FTP archives.
See http://www.debian.org/distrib/ftplist for a list of FTP sites, and try
some...

> I also have access to a CD-R.  Can I build a CD fairly
> easily that has the relevant information on it?
>
> Could I do a minimal boot and just have /base copied
> onto a CD?
>
> I can find the linux kernel files and replace them
> with the 2.2.14 kernel.
>
> (note: this would be a mighty handy alternative to the
> 13-disk method: a 15mb or so .iso image with the same
> info.)

Alternative: download the baseXXX.tgz and burn it on a CD (i.e. let the
burning program make a nice ISO filesystem with 1 file). The install program
should be able to see and use this; maybe you'll have to enter the exact path
(/mnt/baseXXX.tgz) yourself. This would require some less floppies.  Also, you
could try installing slink (2.1), which has even less floppies.

Regards,

  Anne Bezemer