RE: DVD?

> Looks like you're correct that dvd-r is still US$5400. I'd heard rumors
> that it'd come down closer to $1000, but couldn't find such a listing. I
> was surprised to find DLT drives are down at that level, though. They were
> US$3000 last I checked...

If you happen to find a listing with one less than US$5400, let me know ..
we're currently debating back and forth getting it .. if its a lot cheaper,
all the better :)

> You're only half correct for dvd-ram. Drives are under US$500 now.
> Single-sided disks are available w/o the cartridge at this point, and the
> capacity is only 2.6 GB. The double-sided disks apparently come in
> cartidges at this point. Single-sided media is around US$18, double-sided
> around $30. There's a new 2.0 spec for dvd-ram that is to deliver the more
> usual 4.7 GB capacity, with drive support next year sometime.

Ahh ok ... my findings on the rams were either old, or I just didn't read
into them enough .. thanks for the clarification :)

> It's not clear how many dvd-rom drives can read dvd-ram, so you may have a
> good point there as well.

it would be an expensive test to find out :-/ ... As with the original
CD-R's, the DVD-R's and "RW"'s will eventually come down in price alot (if
not already, as you mentioned above)..  If someone has access to a dvd-r it
can't hurt in starting to prepare debian for that media, as was stated .. in
fact, if here we do manage to purchase one (we may have need for one to put
some videos and such on), I would be happy to do just that and help with it
(if needed) .. no promises as of yet whether we'll get one tho, if so, it
would most likely be no earlier than Dec ..

And what was said about the writing under linux .. it can't hurt to create
the image in linux, and then burn it in win....

-Terry