Re: checking the CD through the end user

On 27 Feb 1999, Christian Leutloff wrote:

>Steve McIntyre <stevem@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:
>>
>> Nice idea, but very difficult to implement for a couple of reasons:
>>
>> do we want to ship a static binary md5sum for every possible system?
>
>why not?

It becomes painful very quickly - quite how many binaries do you want to
have to maintain?

>> DOS will have problems reading the CDs - we use long file names and
>> deviate from the ISO9660 level 1 (i.e. DOS-readable) in other ways
>
>okay, delete DOS replaced with DOS-Box from Win* ;-)

OK, that's better. A Win32 md5 checker might be useful...

>IMHO it would be helpfull for any CD trader ...

I understand, yes.

--
Steve McIntyre, CURS CCE, Cambridge, UK.         stevem@chiark.greenend.org.uk
Use Debian GNU/Linux - upgrade your Windoze box today!  http://www.debian.org/