Re: checking the CD through the end user

On Sat, 27 Feb 1999, Christian Leutloff wrote:

>Steve McIntyre <stevem@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:
>>
>> At what stage? The images all contain a file md5sum.txt in their root
>> directories, listing (almost) all files on each CD, and the official
>> images we provide also have md5sums.
>
>all stages ;-) - the packages on the local mirror you are already
>checking in your scripts - done. Afterwards any CD-ROM can be checked,
>with an appropriate call to md5sums. A static compiled binary on the
>CD would allow to check the CD on every Linux machine. A DOS port
>could be used to check it under DOS or in the DOS box of every Win* PC

Nice idea, but very difficult to implement for a couple of reasons:

do we want to ship a static binary md5sum for every possible system?

DOS will have problems reading the CDs - we use long file names and
deviate from the ISO9660 level 1 (i.e. DOS-readable) in other ways

--
Steve McIntyre, Allstor Software         smcintyr@allstor-sw.co.uk
		Oh My God! They Killed init! You Bastards!