Re: Live debian CD

"Glenn McGrath" <Glenn.McGrath@jcu.edu.au> writes:

> Does anyone know if anyone has tried making a "live" cd from debian ?
>
> By live i mean a cd that can boot and run a debian distribution.
>
> My thoughts are that you could probably do it with a script file (probably
> have to be a pretty fancy script i guess) but it should be possible to make
> a live cd based on a current debian installation, or customised to contain
> specific packages.
>
> Such a cd would be handy for people wanting to try debian without dedication
> hdd space, would also be good for a backup system.
>
> For areas of the filesystem that need to be written to it should be possible
> to use a ramdisk and backup the contents to a removable media, or somewhere
> via a network.
>
> An overlay filesystem (that ive read about somewhere) could also be used to
> enable read only  filesystem to be overwritten
>
> What do you all think ?
>
> btw im new in here.. i hope this is the right place to discuss such ideas
>
> Thanks
>
> Glenn McGrath

Keep an eye on

http://mirjam.informatik.uni-tuebingen.de/debian/

Within this week I should be able to finish my "Demo-Linux"
filesystem. The System should be about 100 MB (actually a bit smaller
to fit on a zip) and boot completly form any device or
filesystem. Currently no data will be kept during boots, but I might
add a check for a home.loopback or data.loopback file.

On read-write mediums you could also remount the filesystem(s) rw and
change what needs to be changed.

If you have a Debian mirror (or CD set) you should be able to create
the fs yourself with my creation package, so you don´t need to
download 100 MB to see it fail. :)

May the Source be with you.
			Goswin

PS: I´m looking for a sponsor for the package building the fs.