Re: potato-cd scripts: Necessary changes in CVS?

Steve McIntyre <stevem@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:

> On 25 May 1999, Jens Ritter wrote:
>
> >I patched the debian-cd scripts supplied in the cvs.debian.org
> >repository so that it is possible to generate CDs for the unstable
> >branch of debian.
>
> OK, great.
>
> >I would like to submit my changes to a new branch in cvs, but as I am
> >a 100% newbie with cvs branches I need a helping hand:
> >
> >I first have to checkout the original sources, then use the -b rtag
> >command to create a new branch. I thought of using "potato_cd" as
> >branch name.  Is that ok?  Do I now have to checkout this branch
> >before proceeding?  Or can I copy my modifications to my working
> >directory and check them in immediately?
>
> I'd suggest that you check potato stuff in on the trunk and instead make a
> branch for slink updates. Use something like

ok.

> cvs tag -b slink_cd
>
> to make a branch tag at the current point before you check in...

Hmmm, where do I check in then? In the slink_cd trunk or in the main
trunk?

Wouldn't it be better to create a potato_cd branch, because we
will at some point merge my changes back in the main trunk. See bottom.

> >Secondly I wonder if I should create potato1.[info|list|needed|volid]
> >and such, or if the slink[12345].* files should be renamed
> >(e.g. debian-cd[12345].*)?
>
> I'd suggest cd[12345].* personally, just as an easier option.

As Brandon noted: There might be differences in these files from
branch to branch. I suggest the following:

Let's create ./slink/ ./potato/ ./$codename/ directories in debian-cd
where the "master" copies of files cd[12345xyz].* reside. Instead of
copying the slink[12345].* files to the temporary directory, copy
the branch specific files. This will make it possible to support
different sets of cds with different layout.

At the moment I only did a s/slink/potato/g and s/stable/unstable/g on
the scripts. I will rewrite it, so that the branch of the cd mirror
can be edited into the scripts using variables (later on this should be
made a command line option).

Let's first begin doing that in a potato_cd branch, and when the
script works ok for slink cds, too, merge that back into slink_cd.

But first I suggest we rename slink_cd to debian_cd. This can be done
without problems in the current release.

Jens

P.S.: Please vote against Spam! At
             http://www.politik-digital.de/spam/
(Sorry Europeans only)
---
Jens.Ritter@weh.rwth-aachen.de   grimaldi@debian.org
Key ID: 2048/E451C639 Jens Ritter
Key fingerprint: 5F 3D 43 1E 24 1E CC 48  1E 05 93 3A A7 10 73 37