RE: slink_cd 0.96 - 97

Hi,
	First of all the important news, India 196 for 5 at the close of
the second day of play in reply to NZ's 366 in the third test.

I have been having fun butchering mkfile and I have got to the stage of
proof of concept.  The idea is to make certain that all the packages
neccessary for the installation of the preselected systems are on slink1.
At this stage it seems that the disc will be about 300 mb, which is good
news in the long run.  Mind you, as it stands, slink2 is over 800 mb
including contrib, but that can be fixed.

What I have done is this;

Started a new install, and at the reboot, booted into my working
installation.  I then looked in /root of the partial installation and
found ./profiles and ./task directories which contains the files to be
loaded for each of the systems.

cat-ed and sorted the directories.  The file was then cleaned up and
duplicates removed by hand (a pointer here please - too slow and too many
errors).  This was then used to replace slink2.optional and mkfile was
butchered to make certain that the required packages found their way onto
slink1.  It worked.

I have burnt a CD and discovered that another 15 - 20 packages need to be
added, but proof of concept.

slink_cd was very cooperative and ironed out the errors at the end of the
day.

I will do a bit more work on it over the next 24 hours.

Once I get is working, I could forward copies of mkfile and the list to
you after they have had a shower and shampoo.  However, you might like to
follow the same line of reasoning for yourself.

It's good news, NZ is in a handy position for the rest of the test.

Phil.

Philip Charles; 39a Paterson St., Abbotsford, New Zealand; +64 3 4882818
For Debian GNU/Linux CDs see http://crash.ihug.co.nz/~philipc