Re: rawrite

On Thu, 19 Nov 1998, Rainer Dorsch wrote:

> > On Thu, 19 Nov 1998, Rainer Dorsch wrote:
> >

> > > A colleague of of mine started to installed debian 2.0.r3 yesterday. He was
> > > somewhat disappointed that he had to find pkunzip before he could use rawrite.
> > > I guess there is enough space on the CD left to put an uncompressed version on
> > > it (it would have saved him 7 minutes, he said).
> > >
> > You know? What I hear most, from one of our CD vendors, is that they sell
> > all of the distributions on CD, and Debian purchasers complain an order of
> > magnitude more than all the other customers combined about little things
> > like this, that only require a bit of patience to resolve on your own.
> >

> I would say this is a good sign. Debian users are obviously highly motivated
> to improve the distribution as good as they can.

>From his point of view it is a PITA. He sells 3 to 6 times as many CDs for
other distributions, and recieves 1/10th the amount of grief for those
sales than he does for the Debian sales. While this nit-picking may see to
be a good thing to those of us who wish to make it better, it reduces the
incentive for someone trying to make a living to involve themselves with
our distribution.

> > Yes, rawrite is compressed in the tools directory, but it is available in
> > executable form in the disks directory, where you would expect to use it
> > on a disk image. Now maybe there should be some documentation on this that
> > doesn't already exist, but if the rawrite2.exe file can't be found in the
> > current directory, how is the documentation likely to be read?
> >

> Hmm, obviously Klemens knew that he needs the rawrite program, and what is the
> right place to look for it?

I thought I made that clear. The easiest place to find what you need
should be right where you are. When you are in the disks directory,
preparing to create a rescue floppy, you might expect to find the tool you
need there as well, and, low and behold, it is there, ready to execute.

This exactly what your associate was asking for wasn't it? What can we do
if he insists on going to the tools directory and unpacking what is found
there? I'm suggesting that this complaint has already been addressed, and
that this fellow simply neglected to take advantage of what was provided.

I don't know how to direct his attention to the right place any better
than has already been done. What would you suggest?

Luck,

Dwarf