Re: util-linux: chrt no longer being built on non-linux Debian archs

On Sunday 08 May 2016, Andreas Henriksson wrote:
> Hi Steven!
>
> Thanks for your followup.
>
> On Sun, May 08, 2016 at 11:39:09AM +0100, Steven Chamberlain wrote:
> > Hi Andreas,
> >
> > Andreas Henriksson wrote:
> > > Since util-linux 2.28(-rc*) the chrt utility seems to no longer
> > > build for us on non-linux Debian architectures (eg. kfreebsd and
> > > hurd).
> >
> > I don't see that in the build log for 2.28-4;  chrt seems to still
> > build on kfreebsd?
>
> I pasted this on IRC this morning and I could have sworn it was from
> the kfreebsd build logs:
>
> 05:09 < fatal^> christoph: dh_install: util-linux missing files:
> usr/bin/chrt
>
> But since I can find it when looking again, I must have been looking
> at the hurd build logs I guess. Oh well, the problem still should be
> solved for hurd I guess..... Need to build-test the patch on hurd
> then.
>
> Hopefully for kfreebsd the libmount1.symbols regression fix I pushed
> to git this morning should fix the remaining problems then...
> Your verification of building 'debcheckout util-linux' on kfreebsd
> would be welcome!
>
> > https://buildd.debian.org/status/fetch.php?pkg=util-linux&arch=kfre
> >ebsd-amd64&ver=2.28-4&stamp=1462659576
> >
> > | libtool: install: /usr/bin/install -c chrt
> > | /«PKGBUILDDIR»/debian/tmp/usr/bin/chrt
> >
> > But on hurd the issue seems to be:
> >
> > https://buildd.debian.org/status/fetch.php?pkg=util-linux&arch=hurd
> >-i386&ver=2.28-4&stamp=1462659622
> >
> > | configure: WARNING: sched_set functions not found; not building
> > | chrt
>
> Hopefully the proposed patch solves this. I'll try to get a hold of
> someone willing to build-test the patch on hurd.
>
> Ruediger: please pause the patch until hurd has been tested.

Sorry for late replying.

AFAIR on OSX, there is neither sched_setattr nor sched_setscheduler. See
build log
https://travis-ci.org/karelzak/util-linux/jobs/129696958

That's why I've made that patch. I haven't reviewed yet if I've made a
mistake. I'm on vacation now for two or three weeks, so can't help right
now. In doubt just send a patch, we will see on travis auto build if it
would break OSX again.

BTW I really like your debian build logs for all these different archs.
But IMHO you could improve the tests output a bit:
  1. disable verbose mode, it's not really useful unless you are working
     on the test-suite itself.
  2. your test diffs are diffing in the "wrong" direction (output vs expected),
     confusing to read for me as I'm used to read the original diffs from our
     test-suite (expected vs output). I would dump all the diffs just after
     all tests are finished like we do on travis (.travis-functions.sh),
     like this:

        # find diff dir from check as well as from distcheck
        diff_dir=$(find . -type d -name "diff" | grep "tests/diff" | head -n 1)
        if [ -d "$diff_dir" ]; then
                tmp=$(find "$diff_dir" -type f | sort)
                echo -en "dump test diffs:\n${tmp}\n"
                echo "$tmp" | xargs cat
        fi

  3. Would be nice if you could run the check as root.

I think our travis builds are not bad to read
  https://travis-ci.org/karelzak/util-linux/builds

cu,
Rudi