Re: blkid for ufs partitions

Hi!

Christoph Egger wrote:
> I've just created a jessie-kfreebsd VM image (qemu)[1] [...]

Nice work!  It's a nice, minimal, mostly clean image with everything
needed to install more.  I wonder if I can put this on a USB stick
and use it like a live/rescue system!?

> ( [...] after a grub-install
> the ufsid of the root device seems changed (after reboot)). I'll try
> and see if I can fix that.

That's interesting;  it might also be an issue for d-i, if we had
tried to use ufsid there too.

> Also if you can tell me what to not do wrong I can have a VBox /
> VMWare image soon.

The freebsd-utils initscript error is something already fixed in p-u,
IIRC.

GRUB2 is configured to use a serial console by default, which is really
nice.  Kernel messages don't go to the serial console, yet, but they
should with the newer grub2 in p-u.  /etc/default/grub has:

  GRUB_TERMINAL="serial gfxterm"

although I forgot to implement gfxterm when I changed grub2.  I'll need
to fix that right away (or it'll be serial-only).

In any case, the gfxterm is reportedly very slow in virtual machines, so
I'd recommend using textmode for this image:

  GRUB_TERMINAL="serial console"

And then, sysvinit complains of getty 'spawning too fast' on S0.
vmdebootstrap has tried to enable a serial console but used the
wrong device name in /etc/inittab -- ttyS0 should rather be cuau0.
It also sets 115200 baud whereas GRUB2 and the local terminals use
38400?

Should we try to enable networking by default?  It is difficult to
know what the interface will be called, but em0 is the default in Qemu,
and likely vtnet0 on KVM, xn0 on Xen, not sure about VirtualBox.  In
/etc/network/interfaces could we perhaps add stanzas for each?  e.g.

  # e1000
  auto em0
  iface em0 inet dhcp

  # KVM VirtIO
  auto vtnet0
  iface vtnet0 inet dhcp

  # Xen PV
  auto xn0
  iface xn0 inet dhcp

(assuming ifupdown continues without error if they don't exist).

I thought for a moment it would be nice to have sshd by default - but
it wouldn't be possible to log in unless an administrator sets a
password or sets up authorized_keys - so it's probably not worth it.
We'd also have to make sure host keys are generated on boot, not
hardcoded into the image.

Should the root partition be a little bigger, so that there is free
space already to do things?  The xz-compressed raw image decompresses
as a sparse file, so that wouldn't take up any more space on disk.
Other VM images are likely compressed.  So maybe 4GB, 8GB or more?

I wonder why libboost-iostreams1.55.0 was installed?  That library
is over 2MB but nothing seems to depend on it.

Maybe we should `find /var/lib/apt/lists -type f -delete`, since the
Release file signature is only valid for 7 days, and those files take
up 30MB in the image.

There are some files in /var/log from image creation time, but only
take up <300K, and might actually be useful to look it, so I would
probably keep them.

/etc/apt/sources.list should perhaps use a more generic mirror
than fau.de.  httpredir.debian.org should be best, though it does
sometimes redirect to a mirror not having jessie-kfreebsd suite...
(forgot all about this, we should talk to Raphael about it).
p.s. not exactly relevant here, but the fau.de mirror supports
HTTPS.

Steven Chamberlain
steven@pyro.eu.org