Re: Upgrading Debian kFreeBSD from Wheezy to Jessie

Jesse Smith wrote:
> The /run directory appears to be mounted as part of the root (/) file
> system. It does not have its own mount point. Should I create one?

No, the initscripts should create it for you.  This is probably a clue
to the problem you're seeing (and I'm quite curious to know what it is).
/etc/init.d/mountall.sh has some code to create /run/initctl,
and is responsible for mounting some tmpfs filesystems too.

Do you have anything 'unusual' in /etc/fstab?
Are any of the following missing from /proc/mounts?

| devfs /dev devfs rw 0 0
| linprocfs /proc linprocfs rw 0 0
| /sys /sys sysfs rw 0 0
| fdescfs /dev/fd fdescfs rw 0 0
| tmpfs /run tmpfs rw,noexec,nosuid 0 0
| tmpfs /run/lock tmpfs rw,noexec,nosuid 0 0
| tmpfs /run/shm tmpfs rw,noexec,nosuid 0 0

Perhaps you could set VERBOSE=yes in /etc/default/rcS, and look
for any failure messages after "Will now mount local filesystems"

> ii  sysv-rc          2.88dsf-53.4  all           System-V-like runlevel

sysvinit 2.88dsf-57 will be available in jessie in a few days, but I'm
not sure if there have been any changes relevant to this.

> I hope to try a clean install of "jessie" to see if it makes a difference.

It would be nice to know first what caused the above issue, in case
anyone else runs into it on upgrade.

Thanks again,
Steven Chamberlain
steven@pyro.eu.org