Re: Upgrading Debian kFreeBSD from Wheezy to Jessie

Hello!

Jesse Smith wrote:
> For the most part things went well. My system now has the software I
> want and the system is fast and stable.

That's great!

> However, I've run into a problem
> and I could use some advice. When I try to shutdown/reboot/halt the
> system I get a message saying the file "/run/initctl" is missing.

That's odd.  Does /run or /var/run exist?
$ ls -ald /run /var/run

Does the output of `mount` show that a tmpfs is mounted on /run?
Are there many files inside /run?  .pid files and such?

Which initsystem(s) do you have installed, and their versions?
e.g. output of:
$ dpkg -l sysv-rc file-rc openrc

You may also find clues in the boot messages;  after the kernel
messages (in bold text) and before any the graphical display manager
starts.

Thanks!
Steven Chamberlain
steven@pyro.eu.org