Upgrading Debian kFreeBSD from Wheezy to Jessie

Hello fellow kFreeBSDers,

I have been playing around with Debian/kFreeBSD "Wheezy" for the past
week and, while it has been a good, solid system, some of the software
is a bit outdated for what I want to do. Naturally, I gave upgrading to
the "jessie" repositories a try. I updated the APT repository
information and did a "apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade".

For the most part things went well. My system now has the software I
want and the system is fast and stable. However, I've run into a problem
and I could use some advice. When I try to shutdown/reboot/halt the
system I get a message saying the file "/run/initctl" is missing. The
system will not reboot/shutdown, no matter what method I use. I've tried
running "shutdown", "reboot" and "init 0". All of these commands display
the "/run/initctl missing" error and then return me to the command prompt.

Anyone have a suggestion of a configuration I can change or a package I
can install to fix this? Other than the inability to shutdown the system
kFreeBSD "jessie" appears to be exactly what I need.

Thanks everyone,
JS