Re: kFreeBSD future

On 01/10/14 02:02, brunomaximom@openmailbox.org wrote:
> Are you sure the
> best idea is keeping gcc as default compiler for kFreeBSD considering
> clang already is the defalut for original FreeBSD?

A compiler is chosen per-package, not per-architecture.  We have a lot
of flexibility here, perhaps more than FreeBSD or GNU/Linux has:

  * we have both GCC and Clang available
  * we compile the kernel (kfreebsd-10) with Clang, but GCC also did
work last time we used it for this
  * we still compile most other bits from FreeBSD using GCC, but should
be able to switch to Clang if we ever need to
  * most of the rest of Debian GNU stuff is compiled with GCC, and most
of it can be compiled with Clang too

> And the init system? [...] maybe OpenRC?

We almost got OpenRC working, we planned to probably switch to that as
default after jessie is released.

Steven Chamberlain
steven@pyro.eu.org